Summer Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese, Basil Vinaigrette, and Herbs
Summer Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese, Basil Vinaigrette, and Herbs is a salad I’ve been making for family parties and dinner guests for years!
ThisSummer Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese, Basil Vinaigrette, and Herbsis something that’s been appearing on my table for as many summers as I can remember, and this is my very favorite thing to make with theBasil VinaigretteI featured recently. And it’s prime season for garden tomatoes in the northern hemisphere, so I thought it was a good time to remind you about this recipe by featuring it as myFriday Favoritespick today.
As long as you have fresh tomatoes and goat cheese, there are several ways I’ve found to enjoy this salad. Of course I love the salad when I have plenty of fresh chopped basil from the garden to make the basil vinaigrette! But if you don’t have fresh basil, I’ve even used store-bought basil pesto with vinaigrette dressing to make a dressing, and the salad was still amazing. Of course, fresh basil and fresh herbs sprinkled on top will make the salad even better!
Since I’ve been making this salad for years, I’ve noticed many people think I’m talking aboutFeta cheesewhen they hear goat cheese. Certainly Feta would taste good here, but I think thecreamy goat’s milk cheesethat comes in a log is so fabulous with the basil vinaigrette. In the U.S., Montrachet and Chevre are two brands that are widely available. Goat cheese is probably an acquired taste, but I’ve converted quite a few people to it by making this salad for them, so give it a try if you’ve never had this type of cheese.
How to Make Summer Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese, Basil Vinaigrette, and Herbs:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- If you check the recipe there are several ways to make a flavorfulbasil vinaigrette, but this time had plenty of fresh basil in my garden, so I washed the basil in the salad spinner and chopped it in a food processor. (I like tofreeze fresh basil, so I don’t mind if there’s extra basil.)
- I combined fresh chopped basil withLe Parisien醋栗to make the dressing, but use any low-sugar vinaigrette.
- Slice or quarter juicy fresh tomatoes. (I’ve made this salad with every type or color of fresh garden tomato you can imagine, and all were good.)
- Finely chop fresh herbs of your choice and crumble goat cheese.
- Then arrange the tomatoes on a plate, drizzle the basil vinaigrette over, and sprinkle with the goat cheese and finely chopped herbs.
- This amazing summer salad combination could not be easier!
More Delicious Ways to Use Basil Vinaigrette:
Grilled Halibut with Basil Vinaigrette~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tomatoes, Hearts of Palm, Olives, and Feta with Basil Vinaigrette~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Lightly Steamed Asparagus with Basil Vinaigrette~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Check outTen Favorite Summer Tomato Salads (plus Honorable Mentions)for more amazing salad ideas for summer tomatoes!
- 3 thickly sliced tomatoes
- 2 T crumbled goat cheese (see notes)
- 2 T basil vinaigrette (see options below)
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh herbs (use basil, Italian oregano, Greek oregano, marjoram, thyme, chives, or other fresh herbs of your choice)
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper if desired
- Slice tomatoes in thick slices, half-moon slices, or even large diced pieces if using small tomatoes. Arrange tomatoes on serving dish.
- Drizzle tomatoes with basil vinaigrette, then sprinkle goat cheese and chopped herbs over. (Leave the cheese in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it, or it will get too soft and be hard to crumble.)
- You can season with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper if desired, but I find this is one of the few ways to serve tomatoes that doesn’t really need salt.
Basil Vinaigrette Options; All These Variations are Amazing:
- Combine chopped basil and olive oil to make basil puree, then mix pureed basil with your favorite vinaigrette or Italian dressing. (More aboutBasil Vinaigrette with basil puree here. This is my preferred method for intense basil flavor.)
- Combine finely chopped fresh basil and your favorite Vinaigrette or Italian dressing in a jar and shake. If you can do this an hour or so beforehand it will let the flavors blend, but it’s not essential.
- If you’re a gardener who hasfrozen basilin the freezer, the frozen basil mixed with your favorite vinaigrette or Italian dressing is an easy way to make basil vinaigrette.) If you don’t have any fresh or frozen basil, purchased basil pesto mixed with your favorite vinaigrette or Italian dressing will also make a delicious basil vinaigrette.
This is a summer tomato salad recipe Kalyn has been experimenting with for many years.
Amount Per Serving: Calories:82 Total Fat:6g Saturated Fat:3g 反式脂肪:0g Unsaturated Fat:3g Cholesterol:7mg Sodium:504mg Carbohydrates:4g Fiber:1g Sugar:2g Protein:3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you’re making this Summer Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese, Basil Vinaigrette, and Fresh Herbs for the original South Beach Diet, or anotherLow-Glycemicor low-carb eating plan, be sure to use a salad dressing with only 2-3 grams of sugar per serving. This is surprisingly low in carbs, and you could eat a small serving for most low-carb diet plans.
UseSalad Recipesto find more recipes like this one. Use thewilliamhill威廉希尔 photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like toFollow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterestto see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.