Low-Carb Mushroom,Green Pepper,and Feta Breakfast Casserole
Make this Low-Carb Mushroom,Green Pepper,and Feta Breakfast Casserole on the weekend and eat it all week!And this tasty breakfast casserole is also meatless,gluten-free,and South Beach Diet Phase One.
It's been more than ten years now since I started on my personal journey of carb-conscious eating,and if I had to pick one thing that's helped me to stick with lower-carb eating,it would be low-carb recipes that can be made on the weekend and then reheated during the week.And there's no doubt that topping that Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles would top my list of things to make every weekend.Just taking a few minutes to get a breakfast casserole like this into the oven gives me an easy breakfast that just takes a few minutes to reheat,and gets my week off to a good start.
ThisLow-Carb Mushroom,Green Pepper,and Feta Breakfast Casseroleis something I first made back in 2007,and this combination for a meatless breakfast casserole is still one of my favorites.
When I first made this recipe I liked using 18 eggs to a breakfast casserole like this,but now I prefer more veggies and cheese and a little less egg.Breakfast casseroles are a great way to use leftover vegetables,so if you have anything in the fridge that might go well with mushrooms,bell peppers and feta,go ahead and throw it in!And if you're a fan of eggs for breakfast,don't miss Ten More Delicious Meatless Recipes with Eggs after the recipe.
Before you make this you may want to readBasic Instructions for Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroleswhich has instructions for different sizes of pans and ingredient options for this type of breakfast casserole,as well as 15+ of my favorite low-carb breakfast casserole recipes.
I always feel a little more virtuous when I start the day with a healthy breakfast with lots of veggies,and making this on the weekend gets my week started off on the right track!(There are lots moreVegetarian Recipesin the recipe index.I also have a very activeMeatless Monday Pinterest boardwith ideas from blogging friends.
One at a time,saute bell peppers and mushrooms and layer the veggies in a casserole dish that you've sprayed with olive oil or non-stick spray.(I used a dish that was 10″ x 14″ but anything close to that size will work.
Crumble the Feta cheese over the vegetables,then beat the eggs withSpike Seasoningand black pepper and pour over the vegetable-cheese mixture.Sprinkle with green onions if using.I give it a little stir with a fork to get the veggies evently distributed in the eggs.
Bake in a preheated over at 375F/190C for 35-45 minutes,or until the eggs are set and the top is starting to lightly brown.
Serve hot.I love this with a dollop of sour cream.
More Tasty Ideas for Breakfast:
Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker Breakfast Index~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Baked Eggs Skillet with Avocado and Spicy Tomatoes~ williamhill威廉希尔Kalyn's Kitchen
Broccoli,Mushroom,Egg,and Cheese Breakfast Casserole~ The Perfect Pantry
Baked Eggs and Asparagus with Parmesan~ williamhill威廉希尔Kalyn's Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category calledWeekend Food Prepto help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Mushroom,Green Pepper,and Feta Breakfast Casserole
Make this Low-Carb Mushroom,Green Pepper,and Feta Breakfast Casserole on the weekend and eat it all week!
- 8-12 oz.sliced mushrooms
- 1 large green bell pepper,coarsely chopped (or more)
- 1-2 tsp.olive oil,to saute mushrooms and green peppers
- 1 cup crumbled feta (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp.Spike Seasoning(optional,but highly recommended)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 14 – 18 eggs
- 3 green onions,white and green parts,sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.Spray 10 X 14 glass casserole dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.(Any dish that's close to this size will work.)
- Wash mushrooms if needed and cut into thick slices.Cut out stem part of the green pepper and chop into pieces about 3/4 inch square.
- Heat non-stick frying pan to medium high,add small amount of olive oil,and saute mushrooms 4-5 minutes,until softened and starting to brown.Spread mushrooms in bottom of casserole dish.
- Add a bit more olive oil to frying pan if needed,and saute chopped green peppers until softened and partly cooked.Layer peppers over mushrooms.
- Crumble feta cheese over top of mushroom-pepper mixture.Season withSpike Seasoningand black pepper.(Don't add salt because Feta cheese is salty enough.) Sprinkle with sliced green onions if using.
- Beat the eggs until yolks and whites are well-combined and pour over mushrooms,peppers,and feta.Use a fork to gently stir the mixture so veggies and cheese are well-distributed in the eggs.
- Bake 35-45 minutes,or until casserole is firmly set and top is slightly browned.
- Serve hot.I like to eat it with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Breakfast casseroles like this can be stored in the fridge for at least a week and reheat very well in the microwave or in a pan on top of the stove.(I used to freeze them but I no longer recommend that because the eggs break down and release liquid when they've been frozen.) If you're heating in a microwave,be careful not to heat too long or the eggs will get rubbery.
Recipe created by Kalyn.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Mushroom,Green Pepper,and Feta Breakfast Casserole is a perfect breakfast for any phase of the South Beach Diet or any type of low-carb or low-glycemic eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use thewilliamhill威廉希尔 photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan.You might also like toFollow williamhill威廉希尔Kalyn's Kitchen on Pinterestto see all the good recipes I'm sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe,I recommend entering the recipe intoCalorie Count,which will calculate it for you.Or if you're a member ofYummly,you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.